Oak Bay Election 2018
MEANS ACCOUNTABILITY & TRUST
Because local government is closest to the people it serves, regular dialogue between Mayor and Council and residents, on important community issues, is not only desirable but essential, for two key reasons: for the public, good governance should never be about guesswork and mystery; and, without regular engagement and information-sharing, residents’ trust of their elected representatives is eroded.
Mayor and Council must earn that trust. Public engagement that values transparency and openness results in better Council decisions, more accountability and stronger public involvement in our community. If elected to Council on October 20, I will work for:
- A timely, clear and responsive engagement strategy that guarantees ongoing communication and consultation with residents.
- The active use of public engagement tools such as social media, volunteer working groups, web casting, town hall meetings on major community topics/initiatives and quarterly neighbourhood reports.
- A neighbourhood model that requires regular neighbourhood meetings and designates two Councillors for each of three neighbourhood areas in Oak Bay — North, Central and South — to be responsible for and accountable to their designated area.
- An annual customer survey tool designed to solicit pubic feedback on the quality of municipal services, programs and staff/public interaction.
- An annual Open House at Municipal Hall that throws open the doors and welcomes the public to informally meet with Mayor, Council and staff.
NOTE: If you would like a lawn sign, to make a campaign donation or to host a coffee party, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org Many thanks!